Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a husband who pays rent to his wife and daughter, claim that rent? I live with my daughter and wife to help them to pay the mortgage?

Can a husband who pays rent to his wife and daughter, claim that rent for the  Ontario energy and property tax credit OEPTC ? I live with my daughter and wife to help them to pay the mortgage I pay the monthly payment of $500 only to my daughter every month, can she be the only reporting this payment as rental income? or must be this payment split 50% to both of them, and my wife and daughter declaring both rental income because they are co-owners? I would like  my daughter to be the only one reporting on her tax return this rental income.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can a husband who pays rent to his wife and daughter, claim that rent? I live with my daughter and wife to help them to pay the mortgage?

You cannot claim rental payments to relatives or friends who are not reporting the payments as rental income on their income tax returns.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

I pay the monthly payment of $500 only to my daughter every month, can she be the only reporting this payment as rental income? or must be this payment split 50% to both of them, and my wife and daughter declaring both rental income because they are co-owners? I would like been my daughter the only one reporting on her tax return this rental income.   
Regarding the annual interests paid on the mortgage, My daughter is the one paying the mortgage every month, even though the loan is on both names (my wife and daughter),  who can claim the amount of the interests paid on her tax return, only my daughter o must be shared by both,  even though my wife is not paying anything on the mortgage

You cannot claim rental payments to relatives or friends who are not reporting the payments as rental income on their income tax returns.