Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nbelcourt

Can I claim airfare to attend to one of my rental properties out of province?

I own several local properties but one out of province. Can I claim airfare to travel there to conduct maintenance and repairs and if so how many trips would be reasonable in a calendar year?
1 Reply

Can I claim airfare to attend to one of my rental properties out of province?

Yes, you are able to deduct airfare to go to your out-of-province rental property. 

As for how many trips would be reasonable, you would need to contact the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) to verify specifics about how many trips they would consider reasonable.

As per the CRA:

• You can deduct travel expenses you incur to collect rents, supervise repairs, and manage your properties.
  • Traveling expenses include the cost of getting to your rental property, but do not include board and lodging, which we consider to be personal expenses.
  • To claim the travel expenses you incur, you need to meet the same requirements discussed in Motor vehicle expenses

If you are in Canada or the United States, you can call the CRA at 1-800-959-8281. If you are elsewhere you can call 613-940-8495. This page has more ways to contact the CRA: Contact the Canada Revenue Agency

For more information on rental expenses please see this Canada Revenue Agency article:

Thank you for choosing TurboTax