Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital gains from Schedule 3 are showing up in Chart A on form T936. Chart A line 1. I feel this is not correct as it then pulls it over as an investment expense. ?

Shouldn't investment expenses just be fees, etc. My gain from T5008 is showing on my CNIL as an investment expense.
4 Replies

Capital gains from Schedule 3 are showing up in Chart A on form T936. Chart A line 1. I feel this is not correct as it then pulls it over as an investment expense. ?

Your CNIL reduces the amount of your cumulative gains limit for the year and may affect the allowable amount of your capital gains deduction. Even if you are not claiming a capital gains deduction in 2022, you should still complete the T936 if you had any investment income or expenses in 2022.

Your software is pulling my capital losses  over to the CNIL forms as an investment expense. To the best of my knowledge , investment expenses should only be administration fees, etc and capital losses or gains should not be considered an investment expense. Your software appears to be pulling over numbers in error. 

Please contact our phone support team at 1-888-829-8608 as they will be better able to assist you.

Hello @TurboTaxSusan ,

What is considered as investment income or expenses in this context? Is there a list or definition? So if I received income from a RESP in 2022/2021/2020 would that be investment income?