Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
yurker

Costs Incurred for Work on an Immovable (Revenu Quebec form TP-1086.R.23) question: QC resident, rental property in ON - yet Turbo Tax still tries to fill the form - why?

I am Quebec resident who has a rental property in Ontario. While filling TurboTax online return for 2018, after asking me about Income & Expenses,  the website asks me to fill the "Costs Incurred for Work on Rental Property" form where I need to list the details of all the contractors that did repairs/renovations.  

The format of the form on TurboTax website is exactly the same as on Revenu Quebec's TP-1086.R.23.12-V form, which states (quoting from the website): "This form must be completed by any person  or partnership that, as owner, tenant, or administrator, incurred expenses during a taxation year or fiscal period (as the case may be) for the renovation, improvement, maintenance or repair of a building, a structure or land that is property located in Québec, where the property was used in the course of carrying on a business or in order to earn income."

Based on my understanding when the property is not in Quebec (in my case it's in Ontario) - I do not need to fill this form for Revenu Quebec. Hence my question - why does TurboTax collect this information knowing that it doesn't need to be filled?  Or is it possible I don't understand the "property located in Québec, where the property was used in the course of carrying on a business or in order to earn income" part correctly?
1 Reply
TurboTaxLynda
Intuit Alumni

Costs Incurred for Work on an Immovable (Revenu Quebec form TP-1086.R.23) question: QC resident, rental property in ON - yet Turbo Tax still tries to fill the form - why?

That form is to be used only for Quebec property. For your rental property, you should be filling the T776 form - Statement of Real Estate Rentals.