Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bry-bry24

Do I consider the change of use from principal residence into a rental property as a "Sale of Principal Residence"?

The property was my principal residence for only a year, then moved out to turn it into a rental property. Does this fall under a Sale of Principal residence?. Also, since it was only a year difference should I enter the same amount under proceeds of disposition and what I bought it for thus no gains? For example, bought the property for $250,000, turned it into a rental a year later, property is still worth about $250,000.
1 Reply

Do I consider the change of use from principal residence into a rental property as a "Sale of Principal Residence"?

Based on the information you provided  you have  changed the use of the home from Principal residence ( personal use) to rental .

1. Disposition: Report deemed disposition (sale and immediate re-acquisition of property for different use) at FMV on the principal residence form.  If property qualifies as Principal residence for all years owned there will be no  taxable gain. If not Gain will be calculated on form T2091.

2.  Acquisition: When completing your rental statement T776 add  acquired rental property as class 1 asset  at same FMV  as cost base that is reported on T2091 for disposition.

Please contact our phone support team or contact us directly on Facebook or Twitter  for further assistance.