Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
deon-babiuk
Returning Member

Do I need to fill in the book value and type in the T5008 if I have already summarized my capital gains by account in the capital gains profile?

I imported about 100 stock transactions from CRA into Turbo Tax into the T5008 form and am hoping I don't have to update the book value and type of each on the T5008 form.  I already included all the capital gains in my capital gains profile, grouped by account which is substantially less information but results in the same calculation.

My question is:  Do I have to update each of the T5008 entries with the book value and type if I have already summarized all my capital gains by account in my capital gains profile?  Or can I leave the imported T5008 entries alone, which have the book value and type blank.  Will CRA accept this?

1 Reply

Do I need to fill in the book value and type in the T5008 if I have already summarized my capital gains by account in the capital gains profile?

If you have entered your stock transactions in the Capital Gains Profile, you should not have the same entries as T5008's, and vice versa. You do not want to double report these, so you should choose one way and delete the other. If you choose to leave the T5008s, you will have to update each of the entries. Deleting all the T5008s may be a lengthy process as well, and it may be easier to start a new return and choose not to import the T5008s. 

https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/2647824