Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mross

Do we quality for First Time Home Buyer Amt? We bought a home in May 2017. My spouse moved to Canada from England UK, June 2015. He did own a home, sold it May 2015.

4 Replies

Do we quality for First Time Home Buyer Amt? We bought a home in May 2017. My spouse moved to Canada from England UK, June 2015. He did own a home, sold it May 2015.

If you did not reside in the home in the UK, you would qualify for the Home Buyer's Amount as you meet the qualifications set out by the CRA.

You can claim $5,000 for the purchase of a qualifying home in 2017 if  both  of the following apply:

• you or your spouse or common-law partner acquired a qualifying home; and
  • you did not live in another home owned by you or your spouse or common-law partner in the year of acquisition or in any of the four preceding years (first-time home buyer).
mross

So as joint owner of the house - would I not just claim half of the amount - $2500 as the spouse does not quailify

Percentage of ownership doesn't affect the claim. You can claim the full $5000 (as you are the only one claiming it).

To follow this up does this mean that if one held a house in the UK (till Oct 2019) in both names, we DO NOT qualify for this credit , having purchased in Quebec in Oct 2020 ?