Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aerius01

Does the CESB imply that I need to file my taxes as a resident of Canada and therefore undergo taxation on my foreign income?

1 Reply

Does the CESB imply that I need to file my taxes as a resident of Canada and therefore undergo taxation on my foreign income?

We appreciate you choosing TurboTax,

Your CESB is a taxable benefit that you are required to report on your tax return. The CRA did not withhold taxes from the payments, so you will be taxed on the full amount. The amount you received in Box 198 will be shown on a T4A slip. Include this amount on line 13000 of your tax return.

Residents of Canada are subject to income tax on their worldwide income. Therefore, the individual must report foreign source income such as foreign employment income, foreign investment income, foreign pension income, etc. on their income tax return every year.

Please visit the links provided for further clarifications on CESB and foreign income

Please contact our phone support team or contact us directly on Facebook or Twitter if you require further assistance.