Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

During separation, transferred property to spouse. No money was exchanged. Is this considered a "sale or transfer of principal residence"?

I was on the title for 49%, my ex 50%, and her dad 1%. My name was taken off.
If so, how/where would I find the information to correctly fill out the "Sale of my Principal Property" page? My ex still lives in the house, and isn't selling anytime soon.
1 Reply

During separation, transferred property to spouse. No money was exchanged. Is this considered a "sale or transfer of principal residence"?

Yes. You no longer own the property, so even if you didn't receive anything for it, you did dispose of it.

The Adjusted Cost Base is whatever you paid for the property, including buying costs like legal fees. etc...

The Proceeds of Disposition would normally be whatever you got when you sold the property. But in your case, you didn't really sell it, so instead you'll need to figure out what the Fair Market Value of your share of the house was when you sold it. You can look at what other, similar houses in your area were sold for, and use 49% of that.