Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Foreign sources income for non residents

I saw the FAQs for foreign income for residents but not non-residents. I lived in Canada until August and started working in Ireland in October so I am unsure if I have to claim my Irish earnings
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Part-year residents(incoming or leaving):

Enter the province of residence you resided on December 31, 2016 or resided before you left Canada.

Say yes to residency change and enter your date of entry or departure(whichever applies)

Enter Income from Canadian sources (excluding Part XIII income) for the part of the year when you were not a resident of Canada. (so canadian income earned before entrance or after you ceased to be a resident)

Enter Income from Foreign sources, plus Canadian sourced Part XIII income, for the part of the year when you were not a resident of Canada(Foreign income earned before entrance or after you ceased to be a resident)

By entering your foreign income it is pro-rating your non-refundable for the days you were a resident in Canada. If you do not enter this info, it assumes all your income was from Canada and gives you full credit instead of the pro-ration.

Report only your  Canadian Income on the tax return. do not report any foreign income unless received while living in Canada.

View solution in original post

13 Replies

Part-year residents(incoming or leaving):

Enter the province of residence you resided on December 31, 2016 or resided before you left Canada.

Say yes to residency change and enter your date of entry or departure(whichever applies)

Enter Income from Canadian sources (excluding Part XIII income) for the part of the year when you were not a resident of Canada. (so canadian income earned before entrance or after you ceased to be a resident)

Enter Income from Foreign sources, plus Canadian sourced Part XIII income, for the part of the year when you were not a resident of Canada(Foreign income earned before entrance or after you ceased to be a resident)

By entering your foreign income it is pro-rating your non-refundable for the days you were a resident in Canada. If you do not enter this info, it assumes all your income was from Canada and gives you full credit instead of the pro-ration.

Report only your  Canadian Income on the tax return. do not report any foreign income unless received while living in Canada.

How is the tax that i paid in a foreign country accounted for? I moved with my wife from Germany on 23rd Sept. 2016. I had income in Germany until then, paid taxes too. She was on Maternity leave January 2016 till August 2016 and received tax free income till then.

These last 4 sentences seem to contradict one another. "Enter Income from Foreign sources... after you ceased to be a resident" and "Report only your  Canadian Income on the tax return. do not report any foreign income unless received while living in Canada."
ledious

^ my thoughts exactly this is still very confusing...

I am US citizen. I had US job earning USD pay. Company went under and i was laid off in august of last year. i got job in Canada and moved to Canada in November of last year where i began earning CAN pay/Canadian income. So why does Canada want to tax income I earned when i lived in the US when i already paid those taxes on my US tax return?

Any clarity on this??

If you have entered your date of departure  in the profile section, check out your warnings. There will be a warning to enter your worldwide income.

Yes I saw that which I don't understand as when I called revenue Canada they said I do not need to pay tax on what I earn once I had moved out of Canada

You don't. When you enter it from the warning, it does not calculate tax on the foreign income. It is used in other calculations but not taxed.

Can you explain the other calculations? Because when I don't put in my earnings I am owed $75 from revenue but when I put in my earnings after leaving I owe $600