Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have interest earned from a savings acct, money from a remortgage. Can we split 50/50 since mortgage in both names or does 100% go on my husbands as I don't work?

I was issued the T5 as it is a joint savings account.  I understand that the person that earns the money claims the interest, but am confused if it differs if the money is from debt (mortgage) in both our names, or since I am not paying off that debt if it goes 100% on my husband's taxes.  I am a stay-at-home mom so I currently have no income.  

1 Reply

Have interest earned from a savings acct, money from a remortgage. Can we split 50/50 since mortgage in both names or does 100% go on my husbands as I don't work?

Who reports this income is not determined by who "earns the money".  When investments are held in a joint account, the investment income should be reported based on the funds contributed to the account by each spouse. If the funds were provided equally by both spouses, then the investment income would be split 50/50. In the case of a mortgage in both names, it would likely be considered a 50/50 split.

Joint accounts cannot be used to achieve an income splitting tax advantage. In other words, you and the other joint owner cannot arbitrarily split the income 50% each, solely on the basis that it is a “joint” account, or to choose some other ratio to report on your respective tax returns each year to optimize your tax savings.