Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello, If I have capital losses from a foreign brokerage, how can I report it and claim it against my previous year capital gain? What document do I need?

If the brokerage does not provide a summary statement, will a document with list of all transactions from them suffice?
1 Reply

Hello, If I have capital losses from a foreign brokerage, how can I report it and claim it against my previous year capital gain? What document do I need?

If you have insufficient capital gains in the current tax year and still have an amount left over, you can claim net capital loss. Net capital losses can be used to lower your capital gains in any of the three preceding tax years or future tax year.

Please read this great TurboTax article: Carrying Capital Losses Backward or Forward & Claiming Capital Gains and Losses

Yes, you can have your list of summary- however you still need a T3 slip, if you weren't provided with a T5008 slip. Please read the following from the Canada Revenue Agency: Capital gains and losses Summary.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.