Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Frazzled

Hello where do I enter the amount for my rent assist payment received - line 6126 Manitoba credits? I have looked and can't seem to find it. Thx

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Hello where do I enter the amount for my rent assist payment received - line 6126 Manitoba credits? I have looked and can't seem to find it. Thx

Under the "Provincial" tab > select "Provincial Tax Credits Profile" then make sure to check the boxes "Education Property Tax Credit (rent paid)" and the next box "Manitoba School Tax Credit" proceed to the next screen which allows for input of your housing information. Once completed click on Continue and the following screen provides space for "RentAid benefits received." Provide the amount of rent assistance you are reporting. Click Continue and TurboTax will correctly calculate the net MB refundable amount for your rental expense.

View solution in original post

29 Replies

Under the "Provincial" tab > select "Provincial Tax Credits Profile" then make sure to check the boxes "Education Property Tax Credit (rent paid)" and the next box "Manitoba School Tax Credit" proceed to the next screen which allows for input of your housing information. Once completed click on Continue and the following screen provides space for "RentAid benefits received." Provide the amount of rent assistance you are reporting. Click Continue and TurboTax will correctly calculate the net MB refundable amount for your rental expense.

does this mean I am only supposed to put my housing information in but leave the amount that I paid out of my pocket for rent blank

Did you receive "Shelter Allowance" benefits?

in Manitoba it is called rent assist :  yes my daughter received this to help pay for her rent - she also paid out of pocked as well

She can claim all of the rent paid for the rental unit but must also report any "Shelter Allowance" which will reduce her eligible rent credit. But there are many programs that support tenants with rent and only Shelter Benefits will impact her refund. (see comments below).

so would she put the total amount of rent she paid in and than on the school tax part put in the amount of rent assist paid out to her

The rent assistance screen will follow the housing screen.
Frazzled

Thank you very much Terry!

You are very welcome Frazzled, and I hope a little less so now.