Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
de-thomas

How can I claim vehicle expenses for a vehicle I've borrowed from a family member.

I'm self employed and using my dad's vehicle for work. Can I claim all the expenses or do I need to buy the vehicle. The vehicle cost is not the issue, just the expenses.   

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How can I claim vehicle expenses for a vehicle I've borrowed from a family member.

You can claim the gas receipts that you pay for, the insurance, if you pay for it, and repairs and maintenance if you pay the invoices. You will have to take of a percentage of expenses for personal use of the vehicle, and possibly for your father's use of the vehicle.  You need to keep a mileage log detailing the kilometers driven for business and the total miles driven in the year, which will determine the business use percentage.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You can claim the gas receipts that you pay for, the insurance, if you pay for it, and repairs and maintenance if you pay the invoices. You will have to take of a percentage of expenses for personal use of the vehicle, and possibly for your father's use of the vehicle.  You need to keep a mileage log detailing the kilometers driven for business and the total miles driven in the year, which will determine the business use percentage.