Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I determine the adjusted cost base and the total proceeds of disposition from the sale of my principal residence

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How do I determine the adjusted cost base and the total proceeds of disposition from the sale of my principal residence

The Adjusted Cost Base (ACB) is the cost of property + any expenses to acquire it, such as commissions and legal fees. The ACB can also include capital expenditures to the property, like the Cost of additions and improvements to the property. Note: You cannot add current expenses like maintenance or repairs to the ACB.

Disposition” refers to when you dispose of or get rid of a property. In most cases, the proceeds of disposition is the amount you received for the property. Even if you don’t have a capital gain or loss, you still have to report the proceeds of disposition every time you sell the capital property. 

Subtract the adjusted cost base and the selling expenses from the proceeds of disposition. A positive number indicates a gain, while a negative number indicates a loss. 

For more guidance, please see the following TurboTax articles;

Calculating Adjusted Cost Base.

Proceeds of Disposition.

How to Calculate Capital Gain or Loss.

Where do I report capital gains or losses in TurboTax Online?

How do I report the Sale of my Home(principal residence)?

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

The Adjusted Cost Base (ACB) is the cost of property + any expenses to acquire it, such as commissions and legal fees. The ACB can also include capital expenditures to the property, like the Cost of additions and improvements to the property. Note: You cannot add current expenses like maintenance or repairs to the ACB.

Disposition” refers to when you dispose of or get rid of a property. In most cases, the proceeds of disposition is the amount you received for the property. Even if you don’t have a capital gain or loss, you still have to report the proceeds of disposition every time you sell the capital property. 

Subtract the adjusted cost base and the selling expenses from the proceeds of disposition. A positive number indicates a gain, while a negative number indicates a loss. 

For more guidance, please see the following TurboTax articles;

Calculating Adjusted Cost Base.

Proceeds of Disposition.

How to Calculate Capital Gain or Loss.

Where do I report capital gains or losses in TurboTax Online?

How do I report the Sale of my Home(principal residence)?

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

My new home cost more than my old home. How do I report a negative in proceeds of disposition. It won’t let me do that on the program?

@Themdragons If you have sold your principal residence, then that is all you need to report. There is no requirement to report the purchase of a new home, until you sell it later or it stops being your principal residence.

naroon

Is the proceeds of disposition the gain on the property sold? 

Ex. Sold principal residence for $500,000. However, had to re-pay loan, etc. bought house for $367,000 5 years ago. is the proceeds of disposition what we MADE? so $133,000? 

@naroon 

The proceeds of disposition is what you received when you sold the property, not just the gain. Generally you don't have a gain or a loss when you sell a principal residence, but if you do, TurboTax will automatically calculate it it based on the info that you enter in the principal residence section.