Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do i remove real estate rentals from turbotax?

9 Replies

Income Tab > Rental Properties. Anything you have entered will be there for you to edit or delete.

usratnam

Hi, how do I remove one of the rental income entered twice ?

You will open your return and on the top right you will click on "Find" and type in Rental property- GO- then you will click on YES Then the next page will be your rental summary- you will be able to click on either edit or delete if it was entered twice.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

ericard

I did exactly what you said, and delete the rental income, but TurboTax keeps saying that I need to upgrade to Self-Employed since I have rental income. I don't have rental income and I never had. Can you help me?

@ericard If you never had rental income, then how did you have rental income to delete?

ericard

I did a test last year but removed it and it worked last year. This year, when importing my data, I don't know why, but it was there by default, and now it causes problems even when I delete it.

@ericard Please contact our phone support team at 1-888-829-8608 as they will be better able to assist you. They can look at the return with you to see what is going on.

I have the exact problem.  I removed a rental property I disposed of during the previous tax year, and TurboTax is forcing me to purchase Self-Employed.  Now I have to waste my time calling their help desk.

When you completed your income tax last year, it asks if this is your last year with the rental, and if you said "NO" and then ended up importing your 2022 into your 2023 return then TurboTax assumes that you still have rental income.

The only way to continue without using TurboTax self-employed- is to start your return from scratch and no import it.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.