Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ricki3

How do i report capital loses

I have entered each sale of stock.  They were all sold for zero value.  I have entered the information in the captial gain section.  Where do I enter the purchase price to generate the loss?  When I get to the summary it is asking me to enter capital gains/losses from my 2000 notice of assessment.  It has an amount of 50.00 and won't accept 0.00.  

help

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You will need to click on the income tab and indicate investments.  When the form allows you to choose capital gains, check that box.  A screen will open up allowing you to input information. 

Enter proceeds (lowest of cost or proceeds)

Enter adjusted cost base (original cost plus expenses)

Enter any other costs or outlays (possibly a portion of the management fees if any)

The result will calculate a gain or loss.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

You will need to click on the income tab and indicate investments.  When the form allows you to choose capital gains, check that box.  A screen will open up allowing you to input information. 

Enter proceeds (lowest of cost or proceeds)

Enter adjusted cost base (original cost plus expenses)

Enter any other costs or outlays (possibly a portion of the management fees if any)

The result will calculate a gain or loss.

egr65egr

how do I simply just enter my total capital loss on the correct form

If you are using the online version, you can't bring up specific forms.  If you have the installed version, it may be a calculated cell and if you don't do it properly, you won't be able to netfile.
lyn3raw

It shouldn't be this complicated...

Possibly not, but CRA wants to see how you arrived at the amount by correctly jumping through hoops and filling in the correct boxes.
tsoomro

I have entered all my proceeds and cost base. For each line item I could see my capital gain or loss. What I don't see is my net capital gain or loss i.e. total of all line items.Why isn't online version showing me the net outcome? In the past using CD on PC I have always done that.

The online version is different form the CD in that you do not have a forms view.