Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hlcheff

How/Where do I claim rent paid in Ontario?

We live in Northern Ontario and my daughter attends Ottawa University.  We have been paying her rent since April 2015 and have receipts.  Last summer, she stayed and worked in Ottawa as she had a summer/part time job. I put her Ottawa address as her permanent one on her return.  I have completed her return without the rent and then added the rent to see the difference.  (I entered the rent on the page where it asks for rent or property tax paid.)  The amount owing remained the same and did not change.  Is she able to claim this rent on her return?  Where and how?  Is she also able to claim the rent for 2015?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Rent pd in Ontario is reported under Provincial>Provincial Tax credits- through the Ontario Trillium Benefit. This program combines 1. Ontario Sales Tax, 2. Ontario Energy and Property Tax Credit (Rent, energy, property tax) and 3. Northern Energy Credit (for taxpayers living in Northern Ontario) This benefit does not affect the tax return, It is paid out separately just like the GST and CTB credit. You can view the estimated amount on the bottom line(tax summaries) screen under REVIEW. 

To claim 2015 rent you will need to complete a T1-Adj http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/tf/t1-adj/README.html if you have already done a tax return for 2015 for her.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Rent pd in Ontario is reported under Provincial>Provincial Tax credits- through the Ontario Trillium Benefit. This program combines 1. Ontario Sales Tax, 2. Ontario Energy and Property Tax Credit (Rent, energy, property tax) and 3. Northern Energy Credit (for taxpayers living in Northern Ontario) This benefit does not affect the tax return, It is paid out separately just like the GST and CTB credit. You can view the estimated amount on the bottom line(tax summaries) screen under REVIEW. 

To claim 2015 rent you will need to complete a T1-Adj http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/tf/t1-adj/README.html if you have already done a tax return for 2015 for her.

creolle07

Where on my t4 do I claim my rent paid