Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ibnul7

I am a Canadian citizen and I moved from Canada to the USA in April 2023 and I need help filing a part year tax return.

1 Reply

I am a Canadian citizen and I moved from Canada to the USA in April 2023 and I need help filing a part year tax return.

Although we cannot advise you what you need to do with your US tax return,  the following link is to purchase your US software TurboTax.com and for help TurboTax Support

The American tax deadline is April 15th, whereas the Canadian tax deadline is April 30th for individuals.

Please keep in mind that both these tax returns are filed on separate websites, one is Canadian (.ca) and the other is American (.com), when you are doing your taxes make sure you are on the right site to avoid confusion.

Can i use Turbo Tax, assuming I need to fill in USA and Canada separately, and there isn't a joint version?

Yes, you can use TurboTax to file your Canadian and American return but it will be different software. And yes you will need to file both returns separately.

Do I need to declare my US salary in Canada and vice versa?

Yes, you will need to advise the IRS, as well as the CRA of your salary as well as your foreign income. Please review the links below to assist you further with what you need to declare.

Please keep in mind, you will have to contact our US counterparts for what needs to be declared as foreign income on the American tax return.

Please see our TurboTax articles for more information: 

How to File Taxes if You Left Canada During the Tax Year 

What Canadians Abroad Need To Know About Filing Taxes 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.