Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I closed and made a full withdrawal to my pension account in a foreign country in 2020. Do I need to declare that in my Canadian 2020 tax return?

1 Reply

I closed and made a full withdrawal to my pension account in a foreign country in 2020. Do I need to declare that in my Canadian 2020 tax return?

Thanks for your question. If you received a pension from another country, report in Canadian dollars your gross foreign pension income received in the year. Use the Bank of Canada exchange rate in effect on the day you received the pension. If you received the pension at different times during the year, use the average annual rate. The average monthly rate and the daily rate are available by visiting the Bank of Canada website.

How to enter Pension Income

The fastest way to get there would be to use the “Find” tool in the blue bar on the top right corner. Click “Find” and search for “Foreign Income”, then select it from the list and click on the “Go” button.

Then click on “Enter Foreign Income”. Enter amounts in Canadian dollars or enter them in the foreign currency and enter the exchange rate in the box provided. TurboTax converts the amount to Canadian dollars for you.

Click “Done with Foreign Income” to save the information you have entered.

Please click here for more information.