Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I currently live overseas and cannot have the Turbo Tax address as foreign. Should I just use my previous AB address even though I no longer live in Canada?

Moved back to my home country of New Zealand and am filing from there. But can't have my NZ address in Turbo Tax.
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I currently live overseas and cannot have the Turbo Tax address as foreign. Should I just use my previous AB address even though I no longer live in Canada?

You can’t use NETFILE to file your tax return if you are an emigrant or non-resident of Canada. You would need to mail or fax your return.

If you aren't an emigrant or non-resident, then you can use your old address if it is still what's on file with the CRA. But you would still need to be able to receive mail to that address, as that is where the CRA will send any paper communication.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Are you talking about the address in your contact details or on the payment page? Are you using TurboTax CD/Download or TurboTax Online?

Hello. The contact details on Turbo Tax Online. Then at the review stage for submitting, the error report says I cannot use the foreign address to submit through NETFILE.

You can’t use NETFILE to file your tax return if you are an emigrant or non-resident of Canada. You would need to mail or fax your return.

If you aren't an emigrant or non-resident, then you can use your old address if it is still what's on file with the CRA. But you would still need to be able to receive mail to that address, as that is where the CRA will send any paper communication.

Yeah, that's the trouble. I wouldn't be able to receive the letter to that address. Was a deemed resident in 2023, but left in January 2024. But thank you, mail will be the best option. Thanks!