Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I didn't add a vehicle. When i attempt to add car expenses, TT won't let me submit expenses and gives me errors "Enter date if you purchased a vehicle during the year"

I have an existing vehicle that has been on my turbotax profile for years, purchased in 2014. Every year I enter the apropriate expenses for it without issue.  This year I'm getting two stupid error messages that prevent me from moving on.  The first is "enter date if you purchased vehicle during the year, otherwise leave blank"  Well, I try to leave it blank but TT populates the field with 0.00.

Second error is "You indicated that you have purchases vehicle during the year. Enter the cost of acquisition". Well, I didn't indicate that I "purchases vehicle". And the fact that you this spelling error in your message is a bit of a red flag for me.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I didn't add a vehicle. When i attempt to add car expenses, TT won't let me submit expenses and gives me errors "Enter date if you purchased a vehicle during the year"

Hi Celticanvil, since you purchased your car in 2014, you need to leave the "Date vehicle acquired" field blank. This should resolve both of your error messages and you can move on. You only need to enter the date purchased in that field if you purchased it in the current tax year. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Hi Celticanvil, since you purchased your car in 2014, you need to leave the "Date vehicle acquired" field blank. This should resolve both of your error messages and you can move on. You only need to enter the date purchased in that field if you purchased it in the current tax year. 

Thanks so much for the fast, and simple response.  You are a lifesaver!