Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marcooool
Returning Member

I have a loss in 2021 from short-selling stocks. How can I report it as income loss instead of capital loss? Thanks.

3 Replies

I have a loss in 2021 from short-selling stocks. How can I report it as income loss instead of capital loss? Thanks.

In our TurboTax FAQ,  How do I deduct losses? you will find more information where you can watch the video and learn how to report your losses, step-by-step in our TurboTax Online or CD/Download. 

For more information please see our TurboTax article Losses and How to Claim Them on Your Taxes

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

marcooool
Returning Member

Thanks for sharing.  I follow the link Losses and How to Claim Them on Your Taxes but the only relevant section is " Business Investment Losses ABIL" which the loss from short-selling stocks doesn't fit in.

Any suggestion specifically related to short-selling stocks loss?

If  your investments are done to consider you as a day trader- then you can consider it a loss as it would fall under self-employment loss. Otherwise you will need to claim it as investment loss and claim it on a T5008. 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax