Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
loadpoi
Returning Member

I'm using Turbo Tax Online and have some self employed expenses that aren't part of the questions. How do I add these?

1 Reply

I'm using Turbo Tax Online and have some self employed expenses that aren't part of the questions. How do I add these?

We appreciate you choosing TurboTax,

For the tax year 2021, TurboTax Online Self-Employed users will only be able to report self-employed expenses. For previous tax years, you can follow these steps with TurboTax Free, Standard, or Premier.

1. Navigate to the Find (or magnifying glass icon) menu in TurboTax
  2. Select Self-employment from the results in the Find window, then click Go
  3. Select Check the box if you have self-employed income and expenses to report on the Let's look at your self-employment income and expenses step. If you're filing your return with a spouse, check the box next to the spouse who is reporting self-employment expenses
  4. This step depends on how much of your return you've completed so far, so follow the instructions below that correspond to what you see onscreen:
  • If you see the Your Self-Employment or Business Summary step and would like to enter business expenses for a business not listed onscreen, select Enter New Business, and follow the instructions.
  • To enter business expenses for a business listed on the Your Self-Employment or Business Summary step, choose Edit next to that business, then follow the instructions to reach the expenses section
  • In the What kind of self-employment work do you do?  Next, select Continue. Then, follow the instructions to reach the expenses section.
  • When you get the "Did you have any fixed assets section," you've completed the expenses section

Please visit the link provided for detailed explanations.

Where do I claim my employment expenses in TurboTax Online? 

Please contact our phone support team or contact us directly on Facebook or Twitter if you require further assistance.