Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I use my personal vehicle to do checks on my rental property. How can I claim my mileage?

This is my first year doing my taxes on my own. My accountant had always claimed mileage expenses. I have kept track of all my km for the year. Where/how do I enter the mileage used to check my rental property? Thanks!

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I use my personal vehicle to do checks on my rental property. How can I claim my mileage?

Presumably you have filled out the T776 for Real Estate Rentals.  You should have a small green box, bottom left on your page if you have the tax return open.  If not, click on the forms icon either in the top menu or top right.  This will give you the usual view of a tax return.  Click on the little green box to find the T776.  Once you have that, you will open it to find a line called "travel" and another one called "motor vehicle"  Multiply the number of kilometers by your provincial business rate.  You should not use the kilometer method, however, other than to prove how many kilometers out of the year was for business use.  This per CRA:

"You can deduct motor vehicle expenses only when they are reasonable and you have receipts. You also have to keep records of the kilometres you drove for your rental properties and the total kilometres you drove in the year. You must also determine the total expenses paid for the vehicle in the year. For more information, see Keeping records."

There is great information here.  Click on each expense for more details:

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/bsnss/tpcs/rntl/bt/rprt/xpns/menu-eng.html

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Presumably you have filled out the T776 for Real Estate Rentals.  You should have a small green box, bottom left on your page if you have the tax return open.  If not, click on the forms icon either in the top menu or top right.  This will give you the usual view of a tax return.  Click on the little green box to find the T776.  Once you have that, you will open it to find a line called "travel" and another one called "motor vehicle"  Multiply the number of kilometers by your provincial business rate.  You should not use the kilometer method, however, other than to prove how many kilometers out of the year was for business use.  This per CRA:

"You can deduct motor vehicle expenses only when they are reasonable and you have receipts. You also have to keep records of the kilometres you drove for your rental properties and the total kilometres you drove in the year. You must also determine the total expenses paid for the vehicle in the year. For more information, see Keeping records."

There is great information here.  Click on each expense for more details:

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/bsnss/tpcs/rntl/bt/rprt/xpns/menu-eng.html

For those of us using the online version, there is no option to see the forms. Where do we enter this information? It does not seem to be available when going through the questionnaire for the income property summary.

Go to income tab>rental summary>enter new rental>leave the partnership number, business number, and tax shelter number blank>click continue and then tick income, expenses, auto expenses, and CCA if desired.  The tabs at the top are quite useful.  The original poster was using the installed version.