Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
carohw

If I am a tenant and I am relocated can I write off my Land Transfer Tax if I purchase a home at the new location

I have never paid Land Transfer Tax before because I was a tenant.  Is it allowed now that I am going to buy?

3 Replies

If I am a tenant and I am relocated can I write off my Land Transfer Tax if I purchase a home at the new location

Yes.

Taxes paid (other than GST/HST) for the transfer or registration of title to your new home are eligible moving expenses.

Here's a link for more details on moving expenses: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/tax-re...

Congratulations on your new home!

carohw

My understanding is that if I did not pay LTT on the home I was selling I cannot deduct it on the home I purchase?  This is my question

You are correct. If you did not own (or co-own) a home prior to the move, the land transfer tax is not deductible.