Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I divide the total amount rent paid between my husband and I, or do we both note the full amount?

I'm looking to understand if both my husband and I have to put in the full amount of the rent paid, or if we have to divide the total amount in half.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Do I divide the total amount rent paid between my husband and I, or do we both note the full amount?

If you and your husband completed your taxes together it doesn't matter who claims the rental amount because the amount is calculated based on family income. You can read more about claiming rent here: https://turbotax.intuit.ca/tips/claiming-rent-on-your-taxes-in-ontario-287

View solution in original post

4 Replies

If you and your husband completed your taxes together it doesn't matter who claims the rental amount because the amount is calculated based on family income. You can read more about claiming rent here: https://turbotax.intuit.ca/tips/claiming-rent-on-your-taxes-in-ontario-287

Ok. But what do I put in the fields in the software? Assume we paid $24,400 in rent for the year for our household. Do I have to make a choice to put the $24,400 under only me or my spouse? Do I have to split the amount and enter $12,200 under me, and $12,200 under my spouse? Or do I just put $24,400 under my information, and then $24,400 under my spouse's information, and the software will make the "family income" calculation? Which is right?

If you're preparing your returns together, you can make the claim of $24,400 one-time against either you or your husbands return . TurboTax will then calculate the size of the impact based on family income. If you or your husband are preparing separate returns then you should split the amount 50/50.

Perfect!  Thanks.