Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In 2021 I bought a 2nd house that I am renting as an investment property. Is there a good article that would tell me what expenses I can claim against the rental income?

1 Reply

In 2021 I bought a 2nd house that I am renting as an investment property. Is there a good article that would tell me what expenses I can claim against the rental income?

We appreciate you choosing TurboTax,

As per CRA, you can deduct any reasonable expenses you incur to earn rental income. The two basic types of expenses are current expenses and capital expenses.

For more information on what we consider a current or capital expense, go to Current expenses or capital expenses.

Some expenses you incur are not deductible. For more information, go to Rental expenses you cannot deduct.

If you are modifying a building to accommodate persons with disabilities, buying an older building, or encounter other situations, go to Capital expenses – Special situations.

The following is a list of expenses that are deductible:

Please visit the links provided for further clarifications:

CRA: Rental expenses you can deduct

TurboTax: Claiming Expenses on Rental Properties

Please contact our phone support team or contact us directly on Facebook or Twitter if you require further assistance.