Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In clothing retail how do I calculate the value of old clothing that has depreciated in value

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

In clothing retail how do I calculate the value of old clothing that has depreciated in value

In accounting for inventory, original cost is critical.  You can't decrease the original cost.  You can write down the value of your inventory using the original cost by removing certain items for damage, shrinkage (theft), promotion (give away) etc.

The entry would be minus inventory and plus cost of goods or plus shrinkage or plus promo.

You might sell goods for less than the original cost to clear old stock, which reduces your gross profit, but what you paid for it remains the same.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

In accounting for inventory, original cost is critical.  You can't decrease the original cost.  You can write down the value of your inventory using the original cost by removing certain items for damage, shrinkage (theft), promotion (give away) etc.

The entry would be minus inventory and plus cost of goods or plus shrinkage or plus promo.

You might sell goods for less than the original cost to clear old stock, which reduces your gross profit, but what you paid for it remains the same.