Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line 31270: Canada employment amount $1,000. This comes up & automatically inserts a claim of $1,000 but I do NOT want to claim it, I cannot find how to remove this.

This is not a $1000 deduction it decreases my tax return.
2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Line 31270: Canada employment amount $1,000. This comes up & automatically inserts a claim of $1,000 but I do NOT want to claim it, I cannot find how to remove this.

I actually discovered what it is, not that the Canada employment amount is a training deduction but I found the change in return was based on how box 119 is calculated from a T4A, the numbers came up identical which was confusing. The online software "rounds up" in both cases.

View solution in original post

Right so it is actually line "31260", Turbo Tax incorrectly identifies it as "31270" in the TT Help section. Here is my confusion, my unclaimed earnings + box 119 on a T4A is the identical amount as what is reported on "31260", it seems it just made the deduction equal to the earnings I reported from non T4 slips. Regardless, that should be corrected to avoid the confusion & this thread should be moved accordingly. So far every issue I have had this year is in TT online, more attention to detail is required here. Yes information in box 119 was xxx.55 & TT rounded it up when calculated, perhaps that is the way to do it, no idea. Interesting since last post, this is no longer being rounded up & both income declared & deductions now list xxx.55 .

This section below in the online area is where I had the issue...

"Good News! Here are the additional deductions and credits we have claimed for you "

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Line 31270 – is a Home buyers' amount 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

I actually discovered what it is, not that the Canada employment amount is a training deduction but I found the change in return was based on how box 119 is calculated from a T4A, the numbers came up identical which was confusing. The online software "rounds up" in both cases.

TurboTax online doesn't calculate it properly but rounds the amounts  up?

Right so it is actually line "31260", Turbo Tax incorrectly identifies it as "31270" in the TT Help section. Here is my confusion, my unclaimed earnings + box 119 on a T4A is the identical amount as what is reported on "31260", it seems it just made the deduction equal to the earnings I reported from non T4 slips. Regardless, that should be corrected to avoid the confusion & this thread should be moved accordingly. So far every issue I have had this year is in TT online, more attention to detail is required here. Yes information in box 119 was xxx.55 & TT rounded it up when calculated, perhaps that is the way to do it, no idea. Interesting since last post, this is no longer being rounded up & both income declared & deductions now list xxx.55 .

This section below in the online area is where I had the issue...

"Good News! Here are the additional deductions and credits we have claimed for you "

@Just Tired Thanks for pointing this out. We will let the product development team know.