Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
leannek

My son lives with a room mate. He works and his room mate is a student. Can they both claim their portion of the rent, and if not who is better off claiming it?

5 Replies

My son lives with a room mate. He works and his room mate is a student. Can they both claim their portion of the rent, and if not who is better off claiming it?

Which province are you in?

leannek

He lives in Manitoba

As per the Manitoba government:

Where a rental unit is occupied in a shared accommodation arrangement, only one
person may claim the Tax Credit. The lease or rental agreement must include the name
of the person claiming the tax credit. Furthermore, if one tenant in a dwelling unit has
received RentAid benefits from the Department of Family Services and Labour, only that
tenants can claim the Tax Credit. A tenant is not eligible for the Education Property Tax
Credit if the rental unit is in a single dwelling home occupied by the owner.

leannek

Thank you. Is it better for the working room mate or the student room mate to claim it?

It's a refundable tax credit, so both of them can benefit. The working roommate is more likely to have taxes owing, so they would have less tax to pay, while the student would likely just get it added to their refund.