Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

not rented because it it being renovated for sale. Can I deduct expenses mortgage, utilites ...

I don't have income on my rental because renovated for sale. Can I deduct expenses mortgage, utilities and insurance while it is being renovated?

2 Replies

not rented because it it being renovated for sale. Can I deduct expenses mortgage, utilites ...

As per this Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) page - Completing Form T776, Statement of Real Estate Rentals: Part 4 – Expenses: “You cannot claim the expenses for renting part of your property if you have no reasonable expectation of making a profit.”

So, if you didn’t have any tenants, and were not actively trying to rent the property (ex: advertising for tenants), then you can’t claim any expenses. If you rented your property for part of the year, you can still claim expenses for that period.

So, the expenses would be classified as soft cost and added to the Adjusted Cost Base of the tax year 2022 because the property was sold in 2022?