Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I moved to Canada in March 2022. Do I need to file and pay taxes in Canada from my income from previous country of residence from January to February 2022?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I moved to Canada in March 2022. Do I need to file and pay taxes in Canada from my income from previous country of residence from January to February 2022?

As a new resident of Canada, you are generally required to report and pay taxes on your worldwide income from the date you became a resident of Canada. In your case, since you moved to Canada in March 2022, you will only be required to report and pay taxes on your income earned from March 2022 onwards.

However, you should keep in mind that tax laws can be complex and may vary depending on your individual circumstances, such as your residency status and the specific country you earned income in prior to moving to Canada. Please see Canada Revenue Agency Website below to determine your residency status. 

Determining your residency status

Thank you for choosing TurboTax. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply

As a new resident of Canada, you are generally required to report and pay taxes on your worldwide income from the date you became a resident of Canada. In your case, since you moved to Canada in March 2022, you will only be required to report and pay taxes on your income earned from March 2022 onwards.

However, you should keep in mind that tax laws can be complex and may vary depending on your individual circumstances, such as your residency status and the specific country you earned income in prior to moving to Canada. Please see Canada Revenue Agency Website below to determine your residency status. 

Determining your residency status

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.