Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to report income from rented out foreign property that was inherited? I'm confused about T1135, T776, Foreign Slip, and Foreign Tax Credit forms.

Can you elaborate as to why you are NOT filling anything on your Canadian taxes?
lori10

How to report income from rented out foreign property that was inherited? I'm confused about T1135, T776, Foreign Slip, and Foreign Tax Credit forms.

We are now after talking to CRA and they said the loss will help our taxes here.  We are now filling out the T776 with our taxes.

Yes, that's what I would suggest too. But if you had income, you should file too, otherwise you will get audited. Information entered on the T1135 should also be reflected in your main Canadian T1 return.

How about if I had a net loss because the property was vacant during 9 month of the year?  How should I report it?  Thanks.

Enter your rental information on form T776  however, for your Foreign Rental Property enter your Canadian home postal code as the Postal Code for the foreign property and your home province for the Province. In the Address for the property, fill out as much of the property's address as will fit, including the equivalent of the postal code (such as a ZIP code for US addresses). Note that the CRA's NETILFE/EFILE servers will accept only the first 30 characters of the address.

You must complete T1135 if the value of the property is more than $100,000.

@TurboTaxNicola If I paid foreign taxes, where should I put the taxes paid amount related to my foreign property?

Hi @TurboTaxNicola 

I have a question on T1135 Form. I am reporting using detailed method. 

I see a gross income column and I understand this amount shall be based on income earned minus all other expenses. In my case it is coming out to be negative. How shall I report this. This column doesn't take negative value or even (x) bracket. Shall I add positive value and write same amount in next column as Gain (loss).

How shall I report this negative income in T1135 Form

Thank you

MJ

TurboTaxHeba
Intuit Alumni

You cannot report a negative value as a foreign income on T1135. The income on this form refers to gross income, not net income. You can report a negative value on the cap gain (loss) box.

Use form T776 to claim the expenses against your rental income. The T1135 amount will not be transferred to your return, it is for information purposes for CRA. 

I hope this was helpful

JAF89

I always had this question and there is a lot of misguided information out there. I agree that T776 doesn't need to be filed if you are reporting the rental income in T1135. 

Great information. I started reported my rental income  the way you indicate in 2020 and did  the same this year. I note however in the summary this year that  the rental income is classified as "interest" whereas last year it was classified as "other".

Do you any idea why the classification has changed and if it has any bearing on the tax return from CRA point of view?

Many Thanks