Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does proceeds of disposition mean? Does that mean what I sold my house for?

2 Replies

What does proceeds of disposition mean? Does that mean what I sold my house for?

Thank you for choosing TurboTax,

As per CRA, the proceeds of disposition are usually the amount you received or will receive for your property. In most cases, it refers to the sale price of the property. This could also include compensation you received for the property that has been destroyed, expropriated, or stolen.

Please visit our TurboTax article on Proceeds of Disposition 

If you need any further information, you can reach us on Facebook or Twitter

Thank you for choosing TurboTax. Proceeds of disposition is referred to as the amount you received or will receive for your property. In most cases, it refers to the sale price of the property. This could also include compensation you received for property that has been destroyed, expropriated, or stolen.

If you have sold your property at a price which was higher than the initial price at which you bought then that is referred to as Capital Gain.

If your sold price was lower than the initial purchase price then it is a Capital loss. 

Please refer to the blog in order to calculate capital gain or loss

Hope this helps.