Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do I claim the amount I payed in rent for my apartment?

2 Replies

Yes, you can claim the rent if you satisfy the following requirement.

If you live in Manitoba or Ontario, you can claim a credit for rent paid.

To claim the “Manitoba Education Property Tax Credit (Rent Paid)”:

Under the “Provincial” tab, select “Provincial Tax Credit Profile”. There you can select Education Property Tax Credit Rent Paid or Property Taxes Paid.

Click the “Continue” button, and you will be asked a question regarding “Principal Residences”. Answer this and click “Continue”.

On the “Education Property Tax Credit” page you can click “Add New for [Name]”. This will take you to the “Manitoba Education Property Tax Credit (Rent Paid)” where you can enter the information needed for this credit. Click the “Save & Continue” button to save your information.

For more information, you can visit our TurboTax Article "Can I claim a tax deduction for my rent?"

For Ontario residents following steps can be followed:

Rent paid in Ontario is reported under Provincial>Provincial Tax credits- through the Ontario Trillium Benefit. This program combines 1. Ontario Sales Tax, 2. Ontario Energy and Property Tax Credit (Rent, energy, property tax) and 3. Northern Energy Credit (for taxpayers living in Northern Ontario) This benefit does not affect the tax return, It is paid out separately just like the GST and CTB credit

For more information please see our TurboTax article What Is the Ontario Trillium Benefit?

If you want To claim for the rent paid in Quebec.

When you've indicated that you're a resident of Québec, TurboTax automatically guides you through the steps to claim the Solidarity Tax Credit when you reach the Provincial section of your return.

To jump directly to the Solidarity Tax Credit:

1. Select Find (or the magnifying glass) from the TurboTax menu.
  2. In the Find window, type solidarity tax credit.
  3. Select Solidarity Tax Credit from the list and then select Go.

Note: To skip or decline a claim of the Solidarity Tax Credit, skip through the section by selecting the Continue button without entering any info until you reach the Other Québec Income Profile step.

• residents of Ontario: Ontario Trillium Benefit (OTB)
  • Residents of Manitoba: Education Property Tax Credit
  • Residents of Québec: Solidarity Tax Credit.

For more information, visit our TurboTax video How to claim Ontario Trillium Benefit.

Thank You for choosing TurboTax.

To claim rent that has been paid throughout the year you have to follow the steps given below: - 

• First of all, you need to open your 2021 tax file in TurboTax Online, and on the left side of the screen, there is one black section. Here you should find the "provincial" option which can be found just after the "Deductions" section.
  • Once you find "Provincial" just click on it and then select "get started". It will take you to the new page where you just need to click on "Continue".
  • Now, please click on "Continue" again and a new page will appear, where you just need to select those options which meet your profile and then click on "Continue" one more time.
  • Eventually, you may notice that you have arrived at the new page named "You may qualify for the 2022 Ontario Trillium Benefit". This is the page where you will enter information regarding the rent.
  • If you paid rent and want to claim it then you just need to select "Yes" from the drop-down section in front of this question "Did any of these apply to you and you want to apply for the 2022 OEPTC?" Then, just click o"Continue "
  • Now, it will take you to the new page named "Payments Related to your Principal Residence" and you will enter information for each of these:  Address, Number of Months, Amount paid in 2021, Payment Type, and Name of municipality or name of the landlord.
  • Please click on "Continue" and select "yes" if you want to receive your payment altogether at the end of June 2023 and click no if you want to receive it on monthly basis. Click on the "Continue" 2 times and it will show you the summary of the provincial tax credit where you can check all the details that you entered and correct them if anything was wrong.

Here is FAQ about the how-to claim rent in Ontario: -

How do I claim rent in Ontario?

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.