Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sale of principal residence capital gain math seems to be broken. I set my ACB to be the same as the proceeds and it says I have $16,000 in capital gains. What?

In order for me to make the math work correctly as a joint property, where it says "wife's adjusted cost base" I have to put the full combined adjusted cost base of us as a couple, then I have to put it in again where it says "David's adjusted cost base", implying that we've paid twice as much to purchase and improve the property as we actually have.

Sale of principal residence capital gain math seems to be broken. I set my ACB to be the same as the proceeds and it says I have $16,000 in capital gains. What?

Would you like for us to put in for a callback, so that we can have someone verify what is happening and why you aren't getting the proper amounts? 

Hey there

I've been fighting with this part for days now. There simply isn't enough fields to enter everything required to get a correct answer.

On the normal long-form cra forms, they ask for the disposition (sale price), the ACB (what you paid originally plus fees), and also the other factors in the sale (mortgage repayment, realtor fees, legal fees, paying out a spouse etc) and then you subtract that from the disposition.

They don't allow for modification of the disposition on turbo tax, so whatever you set the disposition for, is split by percent of ownership.

(Mine was 288k, 50/50 ownership, it set my proceeds as 144k, but I only actually got 30k)

I called the CRA and explained it, and they basically said "based on what the fields are asking for, you're filling it out correctly.. but based on what you're telling me, it's not calculating correctly, so I think there's information required that is missing on the software".

So idk. Best of luck to you, but you're not insane. Whoever designed this new section for 2023 did not do it very well.

I also called support, and they also suggested I pay extra for expert help - after explaining that I understood the taxes, and that it was their software that didn't seem to understand the taxes.

I haven't filed yet because I found multiple areas where things didn't make sense, but I did already pay so I could access the PDF download of the full forms. I can solidly confirm that the fields filled out on the forms submitted to the CRA based on the softwares questions are not good.

In my case, no combination of numbers real or fake was calculating the proceeds correctly. It was always reporting a 0 capital gain which is true, but it was splitting my disposition amount by the ownership percent every time.

(I entered 50% ownership for me, 50% ownership for my ex, and it split the sale price of 288 by 50% and assigned me a 144k proceed value...)

They don't have a field to report the factors of the sale - such as repaying outstanding mortgage, realtor fees, lawyer fees, and paying out a spouse etc... so it will never be correct because it's not correcting for things properly. 

The actual CRA form "schedule 3" has a space to adjust for these things, and includes them in whether or not you had a gain/loss. This software does not.

It's just bad.

Can you please contact our TurboTax phone support so that they can view your return and send your case to be investigated?

Thank you for choosing TurboTax

ShaunaRC,

I was able to finally jerry-rig turbotax to output the right capital gains by figuring out what (wrong) math it was doing in the background, then correcting my inputs to get it to spit out the right output.

The main issue it had for me was it was asking for my spouse's and my portion of the ACB, so I put in half of it for my wife, and half for me into each box, the same way you do on CRA's paperwork - which, as you also discovered, spits out an extremely wrong answer. It turns out Turbotax needs you to put in the ENTIRE ACB in each of the boxes, not split between spouses. Then it uses the percentage of ownership you put in for each spouse to split the ACB into whatever proportion and does the math from there.

Which is clearly the wrong way to do it, since now there's no way to individually adjust the ACBs for each spouse - it's also deeply confusing since the form asks for a split ACB, then doesn't do the math for a split ACB.

In the end, figuring out this one silly page on Turbotax ate about three days of my life. It's half-baked and needs a serious redesign.

@david-j-parker 
Thanks for the reply - I actually did end up doing the exact same thing myself the other night after losing my freaking mind for DAYS.

For me, I entered the total amount of money we "made" after subtracting the mortgage repayment, realtor fees, and legal fees from the total of the house sale, which was only $48,XXX - In the disposition box.
I literally typed into google "What percent of $48,XXX is $30,XXX (which was what I personally received)" and it spat out 67.something %, which I then entered into the first box for MY ownership percent. I then subtracted that percent from 100, and entered the remaining percent into HIS ownership percent.

It didn't matter AT ALL what I put in the ACB, I could put in ANY number in the world and it didn't change the final summary of "proceeds", but I still put the original purchase price + fees into it. It ended up splitting our joint "profits" into our corresponding percent's, and displaying my actual proceed amount correctly, which was $30,XXX.

Love that we have to do some weird work-arounds to get the software to come up with the correct answers, after getting no help from the actual support staff... but... what can you do I guess. It didn't matter how much I tried to tell various CSR's that there was an actual error in the software, they just acted like I was stupid. I hate it here.