Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I declare in Canada 130k euros that was given to me by my parent in France, and declared in France? I am French citizen and a Canada permanent resident.

Apparently this sum was just below the threshold at which taxes must be paid in France. But I was recently told that those should have been declared in my Canadian taxes.
1 Reply

Should I declare in Canada 130k euros that was given to me by my parent in France, and declared in France? I am French citizen and a Canada permanent resident.

Gifts are not taxable in Canada, so it would not be reported as part of your regular income tax return But depending on what you've done with the amount, you might still need to report it on the T1135. 

If you transferred the money to Canada, then there's no need for the T1135. But if you have the money in a French bank account, or used it to buy property in France (or another country) you might need to fill out a T1135. This TurboTax article has more info: https://turbotax.intuit.ca/tips/t1135-tax-form-foreign-income-verification-400