Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rrg53

My motor vehicle expenses have been erroneously allocated to my rental property. How do I undo this & allocate to my emplymt exp? I noticed this on my 2016 taxes too.

5 Replies

My motor vehicle expenses have been erroneously allocated to my rental property. How do I undo this & allocate to my emplymt exp? I noticed this on my 2016 taxes too.

From a T777 (salaried employee given a T2200) or a T2125 for self- employment?
rrg53

Self employment

I am unaware of the version of software you are using therefore I will refer to both, the online version as well as the actual form.

• Go to your Rental Property (T776) form - located under the Income tab - Rental Properties - in the online version, go in and remove the vehicle entries in that form. On the Rental Profile Page,(see image below), you had checked the box for auto expenses The Motor Vehicle Section comes after you have entered in all your Rental Information. 
  • Then go into the (T2125) which is located under the same tab - Self-Employment in the online version and make sure it has been entered correctly there.  Save it.

You must have entered the vehicle details in the rental section rather than the self employment section. 

rrg53

There is no place in the Rental Property form that I see on my screen that shows the vehicle entries.  It is a bug in the system and I have escalated this issue to the President's Office.

Please go see the revised answer with some images to help. Thank you