Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I have to pay taxes on foreign income earned in six months in Singapore before moving to Canada?

I moved to Canada in late June 2014. Do I have to pay taxes on the income earned (and taxed!) in Singapore? Turbotax asks me for this income, even though there is a treaty between Singapore and Canada on Avoiding Double-Taxation between the two countries. 

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
naztax

Do I have to pay taxes on foreign income earned in six months in Singapore before moving to Canada?

If you are a new immigrant to Canada, then no, you will not have to report this income. However on the same page that you reported your moving expenses, you should enter the income earned, so TurboTax can help you pro-rate your non refundable tax credits. 

View solution in original post

6 Replies
naztax

If you are a new immigrant to Canada, then no, you will not have to report this income. However on the same page that you reported your moving expenses, you should enter the income earned, so TurboTax can help you pro-rate your non refundable tax credits. 

Thanks for your response. I am not a new immigrant, but working on a 3-year work visa... I understand that my status is that of a 'deemed resident' as I have lived in Canada for more than 183 days.
naztax

Correction - on the same page you indicated your date of entry into Canada, is where you should report your income earned before coming to Canada. This isn't taxable income in Canada, but is used in calculation of whether or not we need to pro rate the non refundable tax credits. I hope this helps you.

Thank you, this is helpful, yes. Can you elaborate what you mean with "pro rate the non-refundable tax credits"? What is a non-refundable tax credit? And how do you pro-rate it? Thanks!
naztax

TurboTax will automatically calculate/pro-rate for you based on your move date:) There are provincial tax credits you might be eligible for that could lower your taxes owed or increase your tax refund.
acorona2

I have a similar situation but with Mexico, I lived and work in Mexico (as mexican resident) from Jan to Sept 2016, and came to Canada for the rest of the year. I input my date of entry to Canada and turbotax asked me for my income when I was NOT a Canadian resident, if I put my income there I automatically have to pay more than 2,000 CAD for Quebec. Why?.. Do I have to input this? or not? and if I have to, why do I have to pay taxes on incomes I did before Canada and that I paid already taxes in Mexico? I can´t find any option for that.