Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joannevel

How can I get rid of the capital gains deduction on my return?

I have a capital gain, but it doesn't qualify for the capital gains deduction. How do I eliminate that line on my returnÉ
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

When you originally input the information relating to the sale and purchase of your securities, you may have inadvertently reported the sale as being for "Qualified Small Business Corporation Shares" (that may be eligible for the capital gains deduction) instead of reporting the sale of the securities as being for "stocks, bonds, ..." (that are not eligible for the capital gains deduction).  If so, change the reporting field from section 1 of the Schedule 3 in your return to section 3 of the Schedule 3 in your return and that should remove the capital gain deduction being claimed.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

When you originally input the information relating to the sale and purchase of your securities, you may have inadvertently reported the sale as being for "Qualified Small Business Corporation Shares" (that may be eligible for the capital gains deduction) instead of reporting the sale of the securities as being for "stocks, bonds, ..." (that are not eligible for the capital gains deduction).  If so, change the reporting field from section 1 of the Schedule 3 in your return to section 3 of the Schedule 3 in your return and that should remove the capital gain deduction being claimed.

joannevel

Thank you so much for your help. Problem now solved!