Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hodg5230

Where to enter rent expenses if I worked from home in 2023 and will turbotax calculate the percentage for me if I enter the full rent paid?

It asks for "other expenses" and before that asks how many rooms in the home are used for work. I know I can only deduct the % of the home I used for office space- is turbotax calculating this for me or should I do it myself? Wish it was clearer...
3 Replies

Where to enter rent expenses if I worked from home in 2023 and will turbotax calculate the percentage for me if I enter the full rent paid?

If you answer the questions as they appear, the software will do the calculations for you. 

As per the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA): If you rent your home, you can deduct the part of the rent and any expenses you incur that relate to the workspace.

To claim your rent, please see our TurboTax video: How to claim Ontario Trillium Benefit.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

hodg5230

Thank you for your answer.

So just to be clear, because turbotax is asking for  Expenses which you incurred for the entire home  after it asks me how many rooms in the house/how many rooms in the work place, Turbotax will be calculating the % of the household expenses used for employment using the percentage of rooms, so the entire cost of maitenance & rent should be input here? 

Yes, you are correct.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.