Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1.Can I claim rent paid as a tenant? 2. I moved from my home country to Canada in 2020 to study. Do I need to claim my flight fare as part of moving expenses?

2 Replies

1.Can I claim rent paid as a tenant? 2. I moved from my home country to Canada in 2020 to study. Do I need to claim my flight fare as part of moving expenses?

Technically, you cannot claim rent expenses in your tax return either a tax deduction or a tax credit. But, you may be eligible for the Ontario Energy and Property Tax Credit (OEPTC) if you live in Ontario.

To check for the eligibility criteria, relevant credits, please visit our website: Claiming Rent in Ontario

To get this benefit you need to fill out the form ON-BEN Application that can be viewed and printed.

For more information, please refer to the following CRA (Canada Revenue Agency) link: 

Ontario Energy and Property Tax Credit

If you are an international student studying full-time in college or university and moved from your home country to Canada, you may be able to claim eligible moving expenses.

To learn more about what expenses you can claim as part of your moving expenses, please check this out: Expenses you can deduct 

For international students check this link on TurboTax: Moving Expenses for International students

and on CRA (Canada Revenue Agency): Taxes for International students studying in Canada

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Congratulations on choosing Canada for your study destinations

Neither a tax deduction nor a tax credit can be claimed for rent expenses on a tax return. However, if you live in Ontario, you may qualify for the Ontario Energy and Property Tax Credit (OEPTC).

For information about eligibility requirements and credits, please visit our site: Claiming Rent in Ontario.

The ON-BEN Application must be filled out to qualify for this benefit. Then, it can be viewed and printed.

Any international students studying full-time in college or university and moved from their home country to Canada may be able to claim eligible moving expenses.

I appreciate you choosing TurboTax.