Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pete06
Returning Member

Background Actor T4A Box 48 with no Expenses

Hello,

My son's tax return is normally quite straight forward as he only received a T4 from his job.  Last year he did some Background Acting work and received a T4A with only Box 48.  

I have a few questions to make sure everything has been filled out propertly. I am using Easystep.

Firstly under his Profile for "Did you work in 2023" I have checked the T4 and T4A options

Further down it asks "Did you have self employment income?".  Do I need to check "yes"??  

I did check "yes" and then checked that he was self-employed and checked "other" since he is not a Professional or any of the other options. 

Later after entering his T4 and T4A information it opens a new window called "T2125 - Business Statement #1"

What information do I actually need to enter on this T2125 form?  So far I have filled out the following:

The From and To date being the Jan 1st 2023 to Dec 31, 2023

Business Name - I just entered his name

Business Address - I just used our home address

Industry Code - I used 711512

Business Number - He does not have one so I have left this blank??  Does he need a business Number?

That is about all I filled out on the form, as he has no expenses associated with this work and it was less then $500.00

I do not get any errors at the Sum up or Review section of Turbo Tax but I just wanted to know if I missed anything important before Netfiling?

Thank you for your help

1 Reply

Background Actor T4A Box 48 with no Expenses

You don't need to mention that your son was self-employed since he wasn't. The system will automatically assume that he was and prompt you to fill out the T2125 section because he received a T4A form with box 48. The information you have already entered in the T2125 section is sufficient, and you don't need to provide a business number. 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.