Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I claim medical travel expense even though I got paid from the Northern Ontario travel grant? I went to Ottawa last May and already got paid almost $800.

What portion can I claim after this?  
1 Reply

Can I claim medical travel expense even though I got paid from the Northern Ontario travel grant? I went to Ottawa last May and already got paid almost $800.

As per the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA), for all expenses, you can only claim the part of the expense that you have not been and will not be reimbursed for. 

Travel expenses (less than 40 km) – travel expenses cannot be claimed as a medical expense if you traveled less than 40 kilometres (one way) from your home to get medical services.
Travel expenses (at least 40 km) – the cost of the public transportation expenses (for example, taxis, bus, or train) when a person needs to travel at least 40 kilometres (one way), but less than 80 km, from their home to get medical services.
Travel expenses (at least 80 km) – the cost of the travel expenses, including accommodations, meals, and parking, when a person needs to travel at least 80 kilometres (one way) from their home to get medical services.

To claim transportation and travel expenses, all of the following conditions must be met:

• Substantially equivalent medical services were not available near your home.
  • You took a reasonably direct travelling route.
  • It is reasonable, under the circumstances, for you to have travelled to that place to get those medical services.

If a medical practitioner certifies in writing that you were not able to travel alone to get medical services, you can also claim the transportation and travel expenses of an attendant.

For more information please see our TurboTax article: Claiming Medical Expense Travel Credits

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.