Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bjswahla

Can I claim moving expenses If I work in US and resides in Canada? Live in border city of windsor but work in michigan

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I claim moving expenses If I work in US and resides in Canada? Live in border city of windsor but work in michigan

No.  You haven't moved...you merely have a long commute.  The government's position is it is up to you to decide how far you travel from your home for work.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

No.  You haven't moved...you merely have a long commute.  The government's position is it is up to you to decide how far you travel from your home for work.

bjswahla

Sorry I should have written that I moved from Alberta

Did your place of work change?
bjswahla

Yes

If you can show that you have a new work location, and your move from one address in Canada to another address in Canada shows the new CDN address at least 40km closer to the new work location than the old CDN residence, then yes you can claim moving expenses.
bjswahla

Ok thanks