Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can i claim the bourbonnais ferry as public transport ion if i take it often throughout the year have all the receipts

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
fuzzy

Can i claim the bourbonnais ferry as public transport ion if i take it often throughout the year have all the receipts

The cost of individual trips cannot be claimed.  You can claim the cost of a monthly pass or passes of longer duration such as an annual pass.  CRA says:

Eligibility

These passes must allow unlimited travel within Canada on:

• local buses;
  • streetcars;
  • subways;
  • commuter trains;
  • commuter buses;
  • local ferries.

You can also claim the cost of:

• Short-term passes if:
    • each pass entitles you to unlimited travel for at least 5 consecutive days; and
    • you buy enough of these passes for unlimited travel for at least 20 days in any 28-day period.

• Electronic payment cards if:
    • the card is used to make at least 32 one-way trips during an uninterrupted period not exceeding 31 days; and
    • the card is issued by a public transit authority that records and provides a receipt for the cost and usage of the card.

Note

Ride/trip passes are not eligible for this credit as they do not provide for unlimited travel.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
fuzzy

The cost of individual trips cannot be claimed.  You can claim the cost of a monthly pass or passes of longer duration such as an annual pass.  CRA says:

Eligibility

These passes must allow unlimited travel within Canada on:

• local buses;
  • streetcars;
  • subways;
  • commuter trains;
  • commuter buses;
  • local ferries.

You can also claim the cost of:

• Short-term passes if:
    • each pass entitles you to unlimited travel for at least 5 consecutive days; and
    • you buy enough of these passes for unlimited travel for at least 20 days in any 28-day period.

• Electronic payment cards if:
    • the card is used to make at least 32 one-way trips during an uninterrupted period not exceeding 31 days; and
    • the card is issued by a public transit authority that records and provides a receipt for the cost and usage of the card.

Note

Ride/trip passes are not eligible for this credit as they do not provide for unlimited travel.