Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jjkrause

Can I claim the replacement costs of my heat-pump on my T777 work-from-home expenses form, under maintenance costs?

I was a salaried employee for a remote mine site and worked over 60% from my home-office.  My employer filled out the T2200 form and I know I can claim my electricity and water bills (8% as that is the percentage of my work area in my house).  Two questions:  

1- Can I claim anything else such as internet bills, as I needed to be connected to the mine site via VPN through the internet so it was a necessity.  

2- I had to replace my defective heat pump, which is my main heat source and was a significant cost to replace (over $12k).  Can I claim my 8% of the replacement costs under the "Maintenance" line of my T777 form?  My home-office, just like the rest of the house, is heated by this heat-pump.  

Trying to call the CRA but it's impossible to get them on the line...

Thanks. 

Jason

1 Reply
jjkrause

Can I claim the replacement costs of my heat-pump on my T777 work-from-home expenses form, under maintenance costs?

Ok, I finally got through to the CRA.

1- Internet:  No, cannot claim as stated in publication T4044.

2- Heat Pump:  Although not clear in publication T4044, she said I should be able to claim my 8% of the replacement costs, as it directly affects my home-office space.

Hope this helps others...

T4044:  https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/forms-publications/publications/t4044/employment-ex...