Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I claim travel expense incurred while on board-sanctioned company business? I am a retiree and sit on the board of a private corporation.

1 Reply
Moussi2

Can I claim travel expense incurred while on board-sanctioned company business? I am a retiree and sit on the board of a private corporation.

The Canada Revenue Agency has ruled that holding the position of "director" (regardless of whether considered part-time or full-time) on (a Crown) corporation board is considered to be "holding an office" for taxation purposes.  Therefore, in general, income or other benefits received by virtue of being a director are potentially taxable under the Income Tax Act, although certain exceptions apply.

However, in the case of directors' travel allowances, such payments are not considered taxable benefits as long as they meet certain criteria: 

• they are a reasonable amount; 
  • the payments are received for traveling away from the metropolitan area where the corporation at which the director works/reports is located; 
  • and the amounts are received for travel completed in the performance of the directors' duties.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.