Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jennsyri

Can I remove a T777 from my return? I somehow managed to apply Flat Rate and Detailed method to the same return.

1 Reply

Can I remove a T777 from my return? I somehow managed to apply Flat Rate and Detailed method to the same return.

Yes, it is possible to update or edit any information on your tax return. The editing process is the same as you would use if you were applying the Flat Rate method or Detailed method. We can certainly guide you to eliminate the claimed expenses.

Please find below the steps in TurboTax online:

1. Go to the top right of your return and click on "Find"
  2. Type "Employment Expenses" in the search bar and click on "GO"
  3. Press “Yes” to enter your employment expenses profile
  4. In employment expenses, there will be a section of question that you have to answer
  5. After you complete the questions, you will be asked how you would like to file your employment expenses. Then you have to select first theFlat rate method”.
  6. If you already have typed the number of days you worked from home in 2020 due to COVID-19, please remove this number and press “Continue”
  7. Scroll down and click on Continue to save all the changes in the Flat rate method.
  8. To make sure that the system is not including additional information please repeat the same process from steps 1 to 4. 
  9. Once you complete the questions, you will be asked how you would like to file your employment expenses. Then you have to select first the “Detailed method”.
  10. Please remove any amount from the list of employment-related expenses and press “Continue”.

Once you finish this process you can go on the top left and click on “2020 Balance Due”.

After Click on View detailed tax summary. Scroll down until find "Net Income" then go to line 22900 Other employment expenses, the amount shown in this line should be 0.

If you are using the CD/Download version and need further direction, please visit the following link.

Employment Expenses Tax Info Centre

Thank you for using TurboTax